Wednesday 28 March 2012

Mosaic, Butternut Squash Soup and Diamond Jubilee Crowns!

I've had a FABULOUS day!


The sun is making me a little bit giddy, I think.  It's been great this week.  Yesterday I worked with a lovely group of people at Bridge's Day Unit in Manchester making Birthday cards and they did incredibly well.  Then I drove over to Ash Grove Primary School in Macclesfield. This school did work on the Macclesfield Town FC Community Mosaic Mural and  I remembered how lovely it was to work with the children on that project. After that I hot-wheeled it over to the studio to prepare for the new Figure Studies course which started last night.  A very tiring but productive day!


Today was SO busy - the bars in the studio have been measured out ready to go up, had to make the soup for lunch and do more prep for this afternoon, see to the water cooler sanitiser and say a quick good bye to Rachael and Jimi before going back to Ash Grove!


I LOVE Ash Grove - the staff and pupils are wonderful.  We worked together to research the 70s and 80s before making crowns outside in the sun.  Lovely, lovely, lovely.


The soup today was rather nice, though a bit tricky to make as someone had 'borrowed' my paring knife. It was exhausting peeling and chopping butternut squash with a butter knife!


Please note that I would put the slow cooker on medium if I was to leave for the morning then put it on high and add the pasta when I got in.


Butternut Squash, Chick Pea and Pasta Soup

1 x 1/2 butternush squash
2 x sticks celery
1 x carton organic chick peas
1 x red pepper
1 x handful cherry tomatoes
1 x litre hot vegetable stock
1 x cup tiny pasta shells
1 x teaspoon grated ginger (or powdered ginger)
1 x large pinch of Herbes de Provence
salt to taste


Peel squash, wash and chop with remaining vegetables, place in slow cooker. Add the carton of chick peas and the remaining ingredients apart from the pasta. Stir well.


Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.  With hand blender, blend half of the soup  to own preference (or not if you prefer). Taste - adjust seasoning if required and add pasta.  Cook for a further 1 hour on medium.  


We all really enjoyed this soup.  I felt it would have benefited from some fresh coriander leaves thrown in at the end so I may try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment